Learn how POWERCON’s IT enabled Asset Management System helps Wind Farm Owners in achieving greater business results?
Traditionally, wind assets are hooked to SCADA systems, which have a far greater potential than the extent to which they are presently being utilized. The wind power plant during its operation continually reveals massive knowledge in the form of data, which unfolds the story of its performance.
O&M professionals with hands-on experience in the field of Wind Technology are able to devise dashboards & formulate algorithms to steer plant operations remotely or on the go. Integration of multiple makes, models or capacities of assets, from different technologies like wind, solar, etc., are placed on a single software platform.
Utilising these inputs with a remote communication infrastructure & centrally located data center forms the basis of POWERCON’s IT enabled asset management system.
The possibilities & results from such set up are –
- Getting the wind power plants for ‘online real time monitoring’ on the desktops or handhelds enhances coordinated efforts among the field & central teams facilitating quick restoration, QA & vigilance. This results in reduced down time, increased availability & hence an opportunity to harness more.
- Use of turbine data for ‘analytics’ would focus attention on power performance issues and trigger actions for alignments, corrections or improvements as necessary to achieve full functionality commensurate with certified power curve. Result— the inexplicable contributors towards energy loss get eliminated, thereby increasing operational efficiency and hence increase in yield is obtained.
- The time stamped data correlation for ‘diagnostics’ could identify the failure elements & elementary or compounded causes of failure. Result – combat & reduce failures, build component reliability hence obtain increased technical availability
- Correlation diagnostics & trend analysis of historic data could enable ‘predictive analytics’ using a site-specific self-learning logic. This could provide reasonably good fortune-teller / predictor capability for the asset base. Result – proactive preparedness resulting in prevention of prospective losses. A step towards futuristic maintenance trends of developing neural networks for self-corrective actions.
- Bigger capacity wind power plants (multiples of 100 MW) could have ‘remote Command & Control’ enablement to ramp up/down production levels, manage grid bottleneck, reset faults or warnings, switch on/off or set power levels. Result – reduce losses due to load shedding commands, responsive management hence optimized yield.
The orientation or transformation to a well-equipped asset management system provides avenues to manage performance at ease and importantly makes O&M interesting…. Thus you have a dedicated clutch and control for optimization of the park performance.
Author: Praveen Kakulte, CEO